Open Burning Regulations
Buckingham Township uses a combination of the International Fire
Prevention Code and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Department
of Environmental Protection regulations
Fire for cooking requires no permission.
Fire for burning of normal household trash requires no
- Burning of rubbish shall be prohibted except in approved
incinerators. Approved incinerators can be a 55 gallon drum
with holes near the bottom for draft and drainage plus a heavy
screen or mesh across the top to prevent blowing of ashes.
Incinerators must be cleaned on a regular basis to remove
unburnable ash, residue and to promote clean burning.
- Normal household trash is combustible and non recyclable paper
goods. This does not include garbage, plastic containers,
shingles, tires, etc.
- Grass clippings should not be burned
Open Fires for burning leaves, prunings, tree trimmings and
limbs from storm damage may be permitted only under the following
- Township fire marshal or office must be notified
- Fire Board controlled burning notification number
- Location is not less than 50 feet from any structure or road
- Provisions must be made to contain fire to location
- Fires shall consist only of seasoned dry wood or leaves
- Fires shall be constantly attended by a competent person until
the fire is out
- Fire extinguishing equipment shall be readily available
extinguisher, hose, etc.
- Fire size limited to 5 ft X 5 ft X 5 ft
- Flammable/combustible liquids shall not be used to start the
- Burning is only permitted between sunrise and sunset
- Fires considered objectionable or offensive to neighbors shall
Fires for Land Clearing must have D.E.P. Permission (Southeast
For more information on open burning provided by D.E.P., go to
www.dep.state.pa.us (search Direct Link "Open